Sunday, January 10, 2016

The semester is almost here.

Miles run: 3
Average Pace: 13:57
Yoga sessions: 0

Good morning! So here we are....one week into my resolution to be my best me. I was still at home for most of it, so I didn't run until I came back to TX.

So I started marathon training with yesterday's "long run" (only 3 miles because you have to start somewhere and that's what the Galloway training says). I also got up and did strength training. I'm doing body-weight strength training (squats, lunges, planks, etc). It helped to stretch things out get me geared up for my run.

Considering I haven't run in over two weeks, my run went pretty well. Yes, I'm still a little slow, but that will come back with consistent training. I was inspired to keep going by friends and strangers that are running Dopey this weekend. Everybody looks like they're having so much fun and even though I know I'm a little dopey to take this on, I cannot wait for it to be my turn. 2 short years.

This week will be the true test of my resolution. I know, logically, that there is no reason I have to get to school as early as I have for the previous years I've been a graduate student, but at the same time, there's this phenomenon known as "grad school guilt" where it has been ingrained in me that any minute I'm not working on grad school things is a wasted minute and my life should be in that science building. What I have to work on convincing myself of is that the workout I'm doing every morning is a grad school thing, that it will help keep me sane and level headed as I face the inordinate task of finishing, defending, graduating, oh, and finding a job. And that everything will still be there when I get there after 8.

Other than that, we're doing okay. The semester starts tomorrow. Today I'll do some cleaning and whatnot around the house and go see Star Wars for the second time (yay!!).

This week I'm aiming for 8-ish miles. Wish me luck! See you next Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment