Sunday, April 24, 2016

The Road to Dopey: Week 16 - Running on the Road

April Miles to Date: 11.6
April Average Pace: 14:45
2016 Miles to Date: 106.4
Yoga/Strength Training Sessions this week: 2
Streak Day: 2 (Maximum: 9)
The American 200: 32.5 mi/200 (9/16/16 Deadline: 9 miles behind schedule)

I want that April miles number to be higher than it is. I want that April average pace to be higher than it is. But it's not going to be. April will end with a maximum of 17 miles. And there's nothing I can do about that except resolve to be better in May. May will be hotter. May will be more humid. May will be shorter, because I'm not running at Disney (but I'll be walking a lot and still getting miles under my feet, so that counts for something, right?). The good news is, this won't ruin my streak...I've always planned to take Disney week off. A runner I follow on IG just had her 700th streak day...which is remarkable and inspiring. When I commented as much, she offered me this advice:
Just take it one day at a time. It eventually just becomes "the norm" and harder to not do it than to get out the door.
So that's what I'm doing, starting today.

I did something I've never done before this week: I took my workout gear and running shoes on a work trip with me. Wednesday, when I made it to my hotel, I took a towel out of the bathroom and spread it on the floor and did my strength training followed by my yoga before I went out to dinner. The following morning, I put on my workout gear and went down to the hotel gym to run on the treadmill.  I only made it a mile. There wasn't a fan in the gym (seriously?) and I forgot to kick on the a/c unit before I started, so I got really warm, REALLY fast. And even though #summeriscoming in Texas, my body is not ready for it yet. As evidenced by my long run on Saturday. I knew it wasn't going to be that 13 miler I keep putting off. I'm readjusting my training calendar, so it will be the week after I get back from Disney. I was aiming for between 4 and 6 miles; my legs were sore from all the walking I'd done uphill in fancy shoes. I only got 4. It was weirdly cool, but muggy outside and I was starving. But I did 4. That counts for something right?

My workout plan for the coming week:

  • Monday, Wednesday, Friday: Yoga/Strength Training
  • Tuesday: Run 2.5 miles 
  • Thursday: Run 3 miles with Hills
  • No Saturday run
Here's hoping I can stick to it. Because running and I aren't done yet. We're just beginning. 


No comments:

Post a Comment