Sunday, June 5, 2016

The Road to Dopey: Week 22 - Dear Texas Summer...I WON'T MISS YOU

June Miles to Date: 8.8
June Average Pace: 14:04
2016 Miles to Date: 146.5
Yoga Sessions this week: 3
Streak Day: 43 (Maximum: 43)
The American 200: 136.5/200 (9/16/16 Deadline)
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - White Rabbit: 8.8 miles

Dear Texas Summer,
I won't miss you. I won't miss that it's 70 degrees when the sun comes up and it's only June. I won't miss that the sun is bright and hot and beating down on me when I run. I won't miss that it makes me have to stop short of my long run goals consistently because of how terrible it makes me feel.

I won't miss you, Texas the place. I will miss Texas the people.

Today is streak day 43...43!!!! I never thought I'd make it to 43. I bet you didn't either, but here we are! The past two weeks have been hard. I wake up exhausted (the home stretch of dissertating will do that to you) and the last thing I want to do is run or even do my yoga. I want to sleep. I want to start working because the sooner I start, the sooner it's over. But instead, I get up and I do my yoga with Adriene (on my TV), or I lace up and go running. I feel better afterward, but that first go is so hard. You would think it would get easier as the habit formed, but it hasn't.

This week was long and too short at the same time. And it was definitely eventful. I finished my dissertation. I FINISHED MY DISSERTATION. 188 pages, 42,000 words. It is done. Well, okay, it's drafted. I proofread it on the tail end of this week, and now I'm applying all the changes I found. I also had my technical review and ordered my regalia for graduation. I also got a date for my defense. It's about a month away. Which is terrifying.

I also had to say goodbye to two of my book club girls. They are moving on too and they left this weekend. It was so hard. I won't miss Texas the place, but I'll miss Texas the people. I wish I could just pack everyone up and take them with me.

But we keep running. Literally. The plans for the end of this summer are coming together. And the next adventure is quickly approaching.

My Alice medal came this week. This is probably my least sweaty medal selfie ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment